Your roof is a workhorse for your building, and when it has problems, the damage and repair costs can add up fast. It’s important to fix or avoid common roof problems in Springfield, MA—if you let it go, the damage will cut into your business’s bottom line. Here are the most common roof problems, and how to either fix them or avoid them altogether—and if you need assistance, make sure to call R & H Roofing, LLP:
- Leaks: Leaks are often the most noticeable damage that can occur. Water intrusion can damage the structure of your property, the items inside and even the foundation. Avoiding this problem is as simple as making sure you have a reliable professional install your roof, as well as flashing and ice or water shields. You’ll also need to schedule regular inspections to ensure that if there are any problems, you catch them before they become an even costlier mess.
- Storm damage: Storms can wreak havoc on a roof, causing damage including missing shingles, felled trees and dents from hailstorms. Start by installing a durable, high-quality roof with a great wind rating. Then make a point to trim back trees or other vegetation that could fall on the roof and damage it—this is particularly common during heavy storms. Check your roof after each storm to make sure there’s no damage.
- Moss and algae: Living in a humid climate can occasionally mean that your roof will start growing some volunteer vegetation, like moss and algae. It’s not just an undesirable look—they’re also hard to get rid of and can damage the structure of your roof. Ask your roofing company about algae-resistant roofing materials or treatments.
- Rubber membrane shrinkage: Flat and low-pitched roofs often have rubber membranes. Unfortunately, rubber tends to shrink over time, which creates weak spots and occasionally allows leaks. If you have a rubber membrane, be sure to have your roofing company inspect it periodically.
- Invasive animals: Pests can enter your building through the roof, such as through holes, vents, flashing and the chimney. This is another good reason to keep your trees trimmed back. Have your roofing company inspect for potential entry points.
- Punctures or holes: Falling trees and debris can puncture your roof, which is doubly awful if it happens during a storm. If you have a hole in your roof, you must get it repaired as soon as possible, lest you risk leaks and structural damage.
- Improper installation: Sometimes roofs are defective because they weren’t installed properly. This is easy to avoid when you work with a reputable roofing company.
- Lack of maintenance: Finally, failing to keep up with your roofing maintenance is a surefire way to allow minor problems to develop into major ones. To avoid this, simply schedule yearly or twice-yearly maintenance.
If you need help fixing common roof problems in Springfield, MA, R & H Roofing, LLP can install, repair and maintain your commercial roof. We bring over 30 years of experience with commercial and industrial roofs to every project, so you know you can trust us to get the job done right. Call today to get a quote.
Categorised in: Commercial Roof Repair
This post was written by Writer